As we have studied the temptations of King David a number of things are clear. First if we allow temptation to start to control us it will lead us to sin and suffering not only for ourselves but also those around us. Secondly we have seen that God can still use us if we repent of our sin and turn back to God for forgiveness. God is faithful and will forgive our sins based on our faith in the death of Jesus to pay the punishment for our sin. Having said this God still desires and we should try not to sin again, to fail again when temptation comes upon us. In this lesson we will study how we can overcome temptation and have victory in our lives.
Study of God's Word
As you go through this lesson, read the verses in the Bible to help you find the answers. Try reading the verses first in a Bible in your own language (Chinese) and then in an English version and writing down any questions you would like to ask later and answers to these questions that follow.
Note: The Bible verse references below are linked to an English version of the Bible. If you would like to follow the Bible verse link, it would be good to "right click" on the Bible verse link and choose to open in new window resized the window so that you can quickly go back and forth from this page to the verses.
Consider the following verses and consider what they teach us to help us overcome temptations in our life.
the evil one or devil (James 4:7; Matthew 4:1-11) - This refers to Satan also called a serpent, the devil (Revelation 12:9; 20:2), and the great deceiver or liar. He is a powerful, evil spirit-creature. God made Satan to be one of the important creatures (angels) who served God in heaven. Heaven is the place where spirit-creatures live with God. Satan wanted to become equal to God. He led a rebellion with other spirit-creatures (angels) against God. Satan and his followers (demons or evil spirits cf. Luke 8:26-33) cause much of the evil and suffering on earth. Satan is God's enemy and our enemy. He tries to destroy us and all God has made. For more detail see Satan.
- What do theses verses tell us that should give is hope in times of temptation 1 Corinthians 10:13; Hebrews 4:15?
- What are these verses warning us about 1 Corinthians 10:12; Proverbs 16:18?
- What are these verses saying we should do when we face temptation Matthew 26:41; 1 Corinthians 10:13?
- What other influence in our lives do we need help with when we face temptation? How do we respond to this influence James 4:7; Matthew 4:1-11?
- What practical thing do these verses tell us to do 1 Corinthians 6:18 (See also example of Joseph in Genesis 39:2-12. Note especially vv. 11-12.) and 1 Timothy 6:10-11?
- What additional means are available to us Proverbs 4:14-15; Romans 13:14? Acts and cult books
- What can we do that will help us to avoid temptation Proverbs 13:20; 2 Corinthians 6:14?
- What is the ultimate source of power over temptation Philippians 4:13; 2 Timothy 1:7?